07-19, 14:00–14:30 (Europe/Prague), Terrace 2B
Testing is a crucial part of the software development process. But, with so many testing techniques available, it can be challenging to know which one to use. While unit testing is a popular technique, it's not always the most effective or efficient way to ensure software quality. In this talk, we’ll explore spec-based testing, a technique that focuses on verifying that the software behaves in accordance with its specifications or requirements.
Our focus in this talk will be on the benefits of spec-based testing, including:
1. Problems with unit testing: How spec-based testing can bridge this gap.
2. Improved test coverage: Spec-based testing will ensure all the requirements or specifications are covered by the test, thereby helping to attain better overall software quality.
3. Reducing maintenance work: Since they are based on the software’s intended behaviour and not implementation details, spec-based tests are less likely to break due to changes in the code. This can lead to fewer tests needing to be maintained over time.
4. Better alignment: Spec-based testing ensures that software meets its intended purpose as defined by the requirements or specifications.
1. Benefits of spec-based testing
2. How to boost your testing strategy with spec-based testing
3. How to get started with spec-based testing in your own project development
4. Learn how to identify functional requirements or specifications and create effective test cases
Anupama Tiruvaipati is a software engineer with more than five years of experience in the tech and fintech industries. Having previously worked with Microsoft, she is employed at Bloomberg in London. Throughout her career, Anupama has been driven by a desire to develop domain-agnostic sustainable solutions that benefit a wide range of users and industries.
Anupama is passionate about finding ways to enhance current work processes and believes that technology can be a powerful tool for improving efficiency and productivity. As a software engineer, she has worked on various projects that have streamlined and automated processes, and she continuously seeks out new ways to innovate.
In addition to her work in the tech industry, Anupama is strong proponent of women in the workforce and is a dedicated advocate for giving back to the community. She believes that it is crucial to create opportunities for underrepresented groups in tech and has volunteered to promote diversity and inclusion.